In the category ’curiosities’, this unusual use of Google Maps by Eric CSS Meyer:
"The High-Yield Detonation Effects Simulator, an experiment in AJAX and Google Maps programming based on public data and showing the destructive zones of large explosions".
In short, it visualises the effect of a bomb exploding in New York, Washington and a few other American cities.
Legend to the map (Overpressure Key):
- 15 psi Complete destruction of reinforced concrete structures, such as skyscrapers, will occur within this ring.
- Between 7 psi and 15 psi, there will be severe to total damage to these types of structures.
- 5 psi Complete destruction of ordinary houses, and moderate to severe damage to reinforced concrete structures, will occur within this ring.
- 2 psi Severe damage to ordinary houses, and light to moderate damage to reinforced concrete structures, will occur within this ring.
- 1 psi Light damage to all structures, and light to moderate damage to ordinary houses, will occur within this ring.
- 0.25 psi Most glass surfaces, such as windows, will shatter within this ring, some with enough force to cause injury.